- This event has passed.
World Food Day (FAO)
October 16, 2014
World Food Day was first held on 16 Oct 1981 and marks the day on which the Food and Agriculture Organization was founded in 1945. The founding of this organization was the first step in dealing with the perpetual struggle against hunger and malnutrition.
- encourage attention to agricultural food production and to stimulate national, bilateral, multilateral and non-governmental efforts to this end;
- encourage economic and technical cooperation among developing countries;
- encourage the participation of rural people, particularly women and the least privileged categories, in decisions and activities influencing their living conditions;
- heighten public awareness of the problem of hunger in the world;
- promote the transfer of technologies to the developing world; and
- strengthen international and national solidarity in the struggle against hunger, malnutrition and poverty and draw attention to achievements in food and agricultural development.